Ragnarok
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ROUND 3] Dwarf Government/Districts Compilation

+3
KayneHusky
Gontuzic
Mattcraft
7 posters

Go down

[ROUND 3] Dwarf Government/Districts Compilation Empty [ROUND 3] Dwarf Government/Districts Compilation

Post by Mattcraft Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:13 pm

So, reading what everyone had as an idea for R3 government/construction, I've drafted my idea of a layout for the Dwarves.

It's just an idea so feel free to remake or criticize. Organization should help a lot next round!

Gontuzic's revised government system
Spoiler:

Gontuzic's idea for Districts/Building
Spoiler:

My draft on the layout
Spoiler:

Last edited by Mattcraft on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mattcraft
Mattcraft

Back to top Go down

[ROUND 3] Dwarf Government/Districts Compilation Empty Re: [ROUND 3] Dwarf Government/Districts Compilation

Post by Mattcraft Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:15 pm

Eh, whoops, my image was cut off, but Superhi was meant to be super highways and arrows pointing to them and Are was arena in the middle of the superhighway to the right.
Mattcraft
Mattcraft

Back to top Go down

[ROUND 3] Dwarf Government/Districts Compilation Empty Re: [ROUND 3] Dwarf Government/Districts Compilation

Post by Gontuzic Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:25 pm

Thank you for putting these together, The only problem with the layout of the city is that this is pretty much the current dwarf layout. It didnt work too well 8^/
Gontuzic
Gontuzic

Back to top Go down

Post by Gontuzic Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:25 pm

Also in the government thread there were some modifications
Gontuzic
Gontuzic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattcraft Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:33 pm

Walling off sections is a very good way to contain over-expansion.

Edit: Added your new addition to that.
Mattcraft
Mattcraft

Back to top Go down

Post by Gontuzic Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Yeah, Walling off is a good way to prevent over expansion, but to have it like that is yet building like that would require us to build everything at once. If we have the starting location as our center and we had the 4 superhighways branching off of the center. Then We can branch off each sector from the super highways. There is no point in having a super highway, let alone anything that I have suggested if we build exactly like we did in round 2. The main reason to our disorganization was that we tried to build everything in the middle, making expansion cumbersome and sloppy, eventually it just died off as people were too annoyed trying to find a spot to build.
Gontuzic
Gontuzic

Back to top Go down

Post by Gontuzic Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:35 pm

Not to be a dick, but that isnt the revision I was talking about. Read throughout the "dwarves in round 3 " there are one or two modifications.
Gontuzic
Gontuzic

Back to top Go down

Post by Gontuzic Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:49 pm

Dwarven Limitations

Spoiler:

Limiting the nobles.
Spoiler:
Gontuzic
Gontuzic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattcraft Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:45 pm

Triple combo! It's all good man, just add whatever you think is right, this isn't for me but for the faction as a whole.

I can draw up a more accurate layout with districts branching off superhighways and such.
Mattcraft
Mattcraft

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattcraft Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:25 pm

I think this would be a better layout, still cuts out a bit, though
[ROUND 3] Dwarf Government/Districts Compilation Dwarfgovernmentplan-1
Mattcraft
Mattcraft

Back to top Go down

Post by KayneHusky Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:45 pm

okay Gont, NOW your Government ideas are nigh-perfect. XD That definitely eradicates the feelings of superiority and whatnot. =3
KayneHusky
KayneHusky

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattcraft Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:53 pm

I'm interested to see how the early round 3 dwarves play this out.
Mattcraft
Mattcraft

Back to top Go down

Post by Gontuzic Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:03 pm

Sigh... matt...

[ROUND 3] Dwarf Government/Districts Compilation Exampl10

Something like this. It has to be like this or the whole layout doesnt work. Also building multiple sectors in one room creates confusion, diagonal hallways are ugly and really jagged just like circular rules reduce the amount of space we have to construct.
Gontuzic
Gontuzic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattcraft Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:16 pm

Yeah, I had drawn that before reading your additions.

I can draw it up later tommorow
Mattcraft
Mattcraft

Back to top Go down

Post by Gontuzic Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:34 am

If your going to draw it, could you use the "dwarven limitations" thread to make a relatively accurate layout plan? I know some people would rather wing it, but if you're going to do this anyways, it wouldnt hurt to have some idea of where things would be lol.
Gontuzic
Gontuzic

Back to top Go down

Post by Gnomus Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:42 am

I love the Dwarfs more and more for each thread <3

Gnomus

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattcraft Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:41 pm

Okay, no more fooling around, using this model and the limitations plan:

Districts will have several different sizes.

Each size will be assigned a color Width Length Height format
HALLS 10x--x5
Small 50x50x10
Medium 100x100x20
Large 200x200x40

EDIT: Black areas can be expanded into and things can be more spread out. Trying to paint within forum limits

I present,
[ROUND 3] Dwarf Government/Districts Compilation Dwarfgovernmentplan-2
Mattcraft
Mattcraft

Back to top Go down

Post by goldmarine9 Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:42 pm

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the commons all together in one spot?
goldmarine9
goldmarine9

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattcraft Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:44 pm

I used the limitations, I think they should connect into each other where they are now and have the halls going through them like Trade or Ancestors
Mattcraft
Mattcraft

Back to top Go down

Post by goldmarine9 Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Oh I see what you mean, yea that could work, it's a nice layout. But maybe there should be a central area for the town hall?
goldmarine9
goldmarine9

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattcraft Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:00 pm

Supposedly in imperial
Mattcraft
Mattcraft

Back to top Go down

Post by Gontuzic Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:08 pm

sigh.... Okay im sorry matt you're pissin me off. I know you're trying to help, but this looks nothing like the description nor the sample picture I provided.

You're making this too complex. There is absolutely no point in having superhighways if we are going to expand off of other districts. Infact if we are going to expand off of other districts, we might as well expand exactly like we tried to do in round 2. it doesnt work.

The reason I have DIRECTIONAL expansion specific to the type of sector that is being built is so we can have a little bit of RP. SLums, Arena, War district and places that are eerie and or run down in the south is to keep a level of realism. Considering that in real cities, Housing near dockyards, garbage dumps, ruined car lots, factories and pretty much any kind of industrialization or military based area are generally run down and a bad place to live.

So that means if we have multiple hallways connecting to sectors then the whole layout of "these sectors can be built on this hall is USELESS." Not to mention if we have 12 entrances into a single sector then I have to build 12 combination locks PER sector then make sure each one has a different code. or else making sectors is also USELESS.

When there are multiple entrances in one sector, that reduces the amount of building space. Since Minecraft is a giant square Circles are inefficient and reduce the amount of building space also Diagonal halls are horribly ugly and impossible to build a combination lock that doesnt look like a cat just barfed on a zebra's stripes.

I hate being an dick. I hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it, but when all the information is provided and you're taking it upon yourself to do something, use the information, apply a little logic and do it right. The reason I didnt draw up a city plan, is because Logically, reading the proposed layout should have been enough.

Gontuzic
Gontuzic

Back to top Go down

Post by AngryPear Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:54 pm

I agree with Gont!!
In my opinion Matt you have just made the Dwarfs city look like a maze, which would be considerabley hard to co-ordinate round, like the currenty city.
No offense.
But Gonts ideas are much more co-ordinated and less inclosed

AngryPear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ardogen Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:52 pm

Don't worry too much about it though Matt. It's hard to understand Dwarf problems without ever having played Dwarf before.

Ardogen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mattcraft Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:45 pm

Gontuzic wrote:sigh.... Okay im sorry matt you're pissin me off. I know you're trying to help, but this looks nothing like the description nor the sample picture I provided.

You're making this too complex. There is absolutely no point in having superhighways if we are going to expand off of other districts. Infact if we are going to expand off of other districts, we might as well expand exactly like we tried to do in round 2. it doesnt work.

The reason I have DIRECTIONAL expansion specific to the type of sector that is being built is so we can have a little bit of RP. SLums, Arena, War district and places that are eerie and or run down in the south is to keep a level of realism. Considering that in real cities, Housing near dockyards, garbage dumps, ruined car lots, factories and pretty much any kind of industrialization or military based area are generally run down and a bad place to live.

So that means if we have multiple hallways connecting to sectors then the whole layout of "these sectors can be built on this hall is USELESS." Not to mention if we have 12 entrances into a single sector then I have to build 12 combination locks PER sector then make sure each one has a different code. or else making sectors is also USELESS.

When there are multiple entrances in one sector, that reduces the amount of building space. Since Minecraft is a giant square Circles are inefficient and reduce the amount of building space also Diagonal halls are horribly ugly and impossible to build a combination lock that doesnt look like a cat just barfed on a zebra's stripes.

I hate being an dick. I hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it, but when all the information is provided and you're taking it upon yourself to do something, use the information, apply a little logic and do it right. The reason I didnt draw up a city plan, is because Logically, reading the proposed layout should have been enough.

I read it.

When I made the drawing, I wasn't thinking things would "expand off each other", by the black space, I meant possible room for expansion in case a house is too short and has to dig into the wall a little.

Saying something is in the south or east without saying how far away it is doesn't help either, in placement of the buildings, I thought about the middle being the starting point and spacing everything for accessibility, not RP value. I even said thing could be spread out or moved, since I was trying to fit within forum image limits this time.

Also, limiting entrances to hallways would make our kingdom one giant house with a lot of rooms, and very hard to access. Honestly, if you want to see your ideas as a reality, go draw them in Paint yourself, I can't make out what you want tbh.
Mattcraft
Mattcraft

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down