Ragnarok
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Farming design / priorities thread

2 posters

Go down

Farming design / priorities thread Empty Farming design / priorities thread

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 am

I know there is a bunch of different possible designs for wheat farms. I hereby offer you mine since I think it's one of the better ones.

Farming design / priorities thread 2010-125

Basically you plant on the elevated dirt so you will never walk on them by accident. Water is flowing beneath the half steps. Basically you can run through the walkways turpo harvesting/planting. Some of the stuff will usually fall in the water; hence the halfsteps. You can then run over the halfsteps to collect that too. The blocks against the ceiling make it so you can't trample the soil and should have torches for lighting.
I only made the right dirt line but on the left of course you make another one. The water reaches that far. Then you can repeat the pattern endlessly.
In short: repeating sections of width 7; dirt line, walkway, dirt line, water with half steps on it, dirt line, walkway, dirt line.
This design has the advantages that you never trample the soil, never lose any crops/seeds in water, require very little water and can harvest/plant as fast as you can walk.
Not saying this is how we SHOULD do it, just that this is one that works very well. Other suggestions are quite welcome.

Would it be a good idea to start a thread where stuff that needs to be done is listed by priority? There is a lot of stuff that needs to happen and not always is someone on to guide progress in case people want to help but don't know what they can do best to contribute.

EDIT: ALSO MINECARTS. Suggestions.

Back to top Go down

Farming design / priorities thread Empty Re: Farming design / priorities thread

Post by Ardogen Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:19 pm

I'm not a farmer/agricultural engineer but your design seems to be logical and sound Very Happy.

As to the priority list, I wholeheartedly agree. One of my biggest fears as a Dwarf (which I've repeated many times to people on Ventrilo Very Happy) is the huge wave of people who initially join and then proceed to leave after 1 day-1 week. Utilizing a priority list would, in my humble opinion, keep the Dwarves focused and give us all something to do.

As for Minecarts, I think a lot of the engineering/transportation stuff should be managed by the Tinkerer's Guild but that's just me. =P

Ardogen

Back to top Go down

Post by eternjc Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:21 pm

The farm looks good, Deci, as long as you can get at grain that drops against the wall. Otherwise, just shift the lines one to the left and add another walkway against the wall.

We should prolly put a cap on one minecart per person (Wouldn't a mass of carts add strain on the server and clients?). Our city as-is won't really benefit from a large rail network - it's just too small. Using minecarts to create private mines farther away from the commons might be good, though.
eternjc
eternjc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down